When Winter Weather Strikes
Winter weather can lead to water damage, roof damage, broken pipes & ice damming. SERVPRO® of Stone Mountain/Clarkston wants to make sure you are prepared for storms and know what to do in case you do have a damage!
Tips for Preparing your Home for Winter Weather:
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets run through unheated or uninsulated areas of the home.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets. Find the shutoff valve in the basement or crawl space and turn it to "off".
- If you follow the previous step, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shutoff.
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves and debris accumulate, causing a damming effect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puffbacks.
- Tips for Preparing your Business for Winter Weather:
- Check your business property for downed tree limbs and branches. Weather, such as wind, heavy rain, ice and/or snow, can cause branches to fall which would cause damage to the property and potentially cause personal injuries
- Inspect property, especially walkways and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Inspect all handrails, stairwells and entryways to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats or non-slip surfaces and post caution signs where water could be present.
- Ask SERVPRO® of Stone Mountain/Clarkston about creating an Emergency Ready Profile for your business for any future or potential emergencies.
If your Stone Mountain/Clarkston home or business experiences water damage, broken pipes or ice damming, don't hesitate to contact SERVPRO® of Stone Mountain/Clarkston at 770-496-1976. We'll make it "Like it never even happened."